Osun spends N800m feeding 240,000 vulnerable citizens in eight months

The Osun State Government on Monday said a sum of N800m had been expended in the last eight months on its food support scheme initiative, through which 30,000 vulnerable citizens are fed monthly.

The state Commissioner for Regional Integration and Special Duties, Olalekan Badmus, whose office supervises the distribution, disclosed this at the 8th edition of the distribution of the food items in Osogbo.

Badmus, who further explained that the initiative was having meaningful impact on the lives of the people, added that the programme was also having positive effects on other sectors of the economy, particularly on agriculture and small scale enterprises.

He said, “As of today, we have different people that have come to pick these foods from different places. From what we have, the programme costs us an average of N100m every month, and this is the 8th edition.

“As it was emphasised before, our effort is actually on the impact on the people particularly the vulnerable citizens and poor of the poorest.

“We have taken a step further by improving on what we are presently doing to reach more people through well- coordinated efforts.

“We have done 210,000 already and with additional 30,000 today, it means that we have reached 240,000 beneficiaries and households.”

In his remarks, Osun State Governor, Adegboyega Oyetola, represented by the Secretary to the State Government, Wole Oyebamiji, said the scheme had helped to stimulate the economy of the state as local productions of goods had been tremendously boosted.

Copyright PUNCH.

All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from PUNCH.

Contact: [email protected]

General