About two weeks after the abduction of 66 worshippers at Emmanuel Baptist Church in Kakau Daji, Chikun Local Government Area of Kaduna State, bandits have contacted their families, asking them to send food for their captives, The PUNCH has learnt.
The Christian Association of Nigeria has therefore called on government to act responsibly for the return of the remaining 61 Christians still in custody of the bandits.
Our correspondent reported that two of the 66 worshippers were killed by the bandits, one week after their abduction on October 31 during church service.
The bandits were said to have opened fire on five of their victims and killed two while three others who sustained injuries were taken to the hospital.
The Vice President of CAN (19 Northern States and Abuja) and its chairman in Kaduna State, Rev. Joseph Hayab, in an interview with The PUNCH said the bandits had established contact with the families of their victims, asking for food.
Hayab said, “The bandits that took 66 worshipers at Emmanuel Baptist Church in Kakau Daji selected five young men between the ages of 20 and 24 as if they were going to release them.
“When they approached the village, they asked them to go and opened fire on them. You will recall that two died instantly while three were taken to a hospital in Kaduna.
“But one amongst the three that got injured died on Tuesday (last week) and we buried him on Thursday (last week).
“The bandits have asked the community to provide food stuffs for the remaining 61 which was done last (week) Thursday.”
He pleaded with government authorities to act responsibly to ensure quick and safe return of the remaining 61 captives.
All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from PUNCH.
Contact: [email protected]