Scholarships are a type of financial aid awarded to students based on their academic excellence, talents, and leadership qualities. Though they are financial aid, in most cases, they do not need to be repaid during the periods of study or afterward.
Scholarships provide funding for international students who cannot afford the tuition fee and the cost of education, especially if they had to study abroad. This is why scholarships are a life-saver for all those students who wish to study in the best universities in the world.
Scholarships differ from grants because they are given based on merit or need rather than financial need alone. Scholarships are generally awarded by colleges, universities, and non-profit organizations (such as charities).
Different types of scholarships in Europe
There are different types of scholarships available. Here are some of the most common ones:
1. Merit-based scholarships are awarded to students who have achieved high academic scores or results. Merit-based scholarships are given based on grades, skills, talents, sportsmanship, etc.
2. Need-based Scholarships: Need-based scholarship is given to students who come from financially disadvantaged backgrounds and therefore require financial assistance to complete their degree program. Students have to meet certain academic or merit criteria to be eligible for this type of scholarship.
3. Government Scholarships: Government scholarships are awarded to help students meet their tuition fees and other living expenses during and after their degree program. The only criterion that needs to be fulfilled is that you should be a citizen of that country for which scholarship you’re applying for.
4. University-funded scholarships: University-funded scholarships are awarded by the university itself and do not need to be repaid. University funds these scholarships through its internal fund, alumni donations, etc. It is only offered to students who are pursuing courses in certain universities.
Here are some of the top Europe Scholarships for international students
Since Europe is a vast continent and has many countries, many scholarships are available. You have to do your research to find the ideal scholarships for you. Here, we have shortlisted a few scholarships for you:
1. Swiss government excellence scholarships (Switzerland)
Swiss government excellence scholarship aims for young researchers who completed their Ph.D. degree programs or Master’s degree program. It is offered to the most talented students who have shown their academic excellence. It also aims for art students who want to pursue their master’s degree in an artistic field in Switzerland.
2. British Chevening Scholarships (UK)
British Chevening Scholarships are some of the most prestigious scholarships in entire Europe. It is given to students who wish to learn or do their Master’s degree in any subject offered by universities in the UK. It facilitates some of the best minds globally to study some of the most prestigious courses. It typically offers a one-year master’s degree program.
3. DAAD Scholarships (Germany)
DAAD scholarship is a must for all the students who want to pursue their Master’s or Ph.D. in German universities with many high-ranking courses and an excellent research environment. It also provides financial assistance to German students if they wish to study abroad.
4. Holland Scholarships (Netherlands)
Holland scholarships are open to students of all nationalities and offer €5,000 in the first year. The Holland Scholarship is only available to students outside the European Economic Area (EEA). It is offered to students who want to pursue their bachelor’s degree in the Netherlands.
5. Italian Government Bursaries for Foreign Students (Italy)
Italian government bursaries are given to students who want to pursue their undergraduate and postgraduate degrees in Italy. These scholarships cover up to 50% of tuition fees and offer a monthly allowance. You can follow many courses with this scholarship, such as Advanced vocational training, art and music courses, Masters’s Degree courses, Ph.D. Courses, etc.
6. Schwarzman Scholars Program at Tsinghua University (China)
Designed to prepare the next generation of global leaders, Schwarzman Scholars is the first scholarship created to respond to the geopolitical landscape of the 21st Century. The program will allow the world’s best and brightest students to develop their leadership skills and professional networks through a one-year Master’s Degree at Tsinghua University. The scholarship covers tuition and fees, room and board, travel to and from Beijing at the beginning and end of the academic year, an in-country study tour, required course books and supplies, Lenovo laptop and smartphone, health insurance, and a modest personal stipend.
7. Rotary Foundation Global Study Grants (Various Countries)
The Rotary Foundation offers scholarship funding through the Rotary Foundation Global Grant scholarships. The scholarship funds graduate-level coursework or research for one to four academic years. The minimum budget for a global grant scholarship is $30,000.